Girls Varsity Swimming vs Boys Varsity Football

Nistha Boghra, Editor

On October 23, Sachem North hosted a swim meet between the Boys Varsity Football Team and the Girls Varsity Swim Team in support of ALS. ALS, or amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, a nervous system disease that weakens muscles and impacts physical function. Although there are treatments that can help the symptoms, this very rare condition cannot be cured.

The meet ran from 2:30-4:30. The events included the basic strokes(freestyle, backstroke, breaststroke, and butterfly), relay events, and a diving portion.
Both teams had a great time at the meet, although the boys seemed a bit lost. They were frantically running around to learn some of the complicated strokes from the girls at the last minute. Others were still trying to understand the rules of the sport. One athlete shouted, “Do we have to go there and back?”
However, it was clear that both teams had an incredibly tenacious drive to win. Both teams enjoyed the event had were proud of their efforts. “I think the event is a great way to raise awareness for ALS. I think it’s exciting, and I think a lot of people are into it!” says football player Alezandro Aponte.

Overall, the event was extremely successful. At the completion of the game, the Varsity Swim Team won. Approximately 40 athletes per team either participated or attended to show support for their fellow teammates. They cheered on from the bleachers and sidelines. About 150 students, teachers, and parents came to cheer on the hardworking athletes. The Girls Varsity Swim Team raised close to $850. “I’m glad the Varsity teams can get together and raise money for a great cause like this”, says captain of the football team, Michael Reid.