• October 9Thanksgiving Food Drive Begins Monday, October 23rd

• October 4Festival of Trees and Lights - Saturday 12/9 & Sunday 12/10

Department News 10/6/17

ART

The Art Department has been busy collaborating with departments and clubs, making posters and designing T-shirts.  This career training experience is a great opportunity for our students to utilize the skills taught in our Media and Advanced Digital Media classes.   The commissioned work will be a welcome addition to their portfolios.

ENGLISH

September—Remember the Writing Process!

October—Understanding the Counterclaim!

It’s wise to know the ways of one’s adversary!  In order to become a critical and visionary thinker, one must not only cognize the stand they are making, but the counterclaim as well! October has become synonymous with Breast Cancer Awareness—what other causes do you want to champion?  You have your life entire in front of you…what do you want to take a stand for? Or against? if you do not stand for something you’ll fall for anything.

FACS

Goal: To analyze curriculum and determine if our projects/labs are best for student outcomes.

This week our Culinary Arts 1 classes demonstrated their kitchen skills during group cooking labs on quick breads. This required them to demonstrate knowledge of many culinary arts skills that they have been learning during the first weeks of school, including the following:

• reading recipes
  • measuring ingredients accurately
  • mixing methods
  • specific cooking terms (shelling an egg, blending, sifting)
  • safely using equipment
  • practicing safety and sanitation

Thank you to Ms. Harper and Mrs. Shelhorse for sharing the pictures and for contributing to our District goals of:

• Goal #2 – Enhance Student Achievement, Quality of Instruction and Leadership Skills by implementing dynamic curriculum which incorporates critical thinking, collaboration, creativity, technology and civic responsibility.
  • Goal #6 – We Are Sachem by Promoting and strive for one Sachem family.
  • Next week our Culinary and Baking classes will welcome Harris Monte, Culinary Demonstrator and student of Johnson & Wales University who will be presenting culinary techniques and discussing Johnson and Wales on Monday and Tuesday October 16, and 17th.

Also, thank you for sharing in spirit week and bringing in the fashion to We are Sachem!

GUIDANCE

Guidance is in full College Application Season.  This week North hosted over a dozen colleges and had over 100 students in attendance.  Students may be asking faculty for letters of recommendation if they have not done so already.  Those letters should be uploaded to Naviance ASAP as students are beginning to finalize their applications.  Any questions please feel free to swing by guidance and say hey!

GUIDANCE FUN FACT OF THE WEEK:

Nursing is a HOT major right now.  Did you know SUNY Plattsburgh received over 1800 applications for 55 Nursing school spots??!!??!!

HEALTH

On November 7th, Sachem North will once again be the host for the New York State Association for Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance (NYSAHPERD) Suffolk Zone Conference.  The conference theme is “Get in the Zone with Quality Health and Physical Education.”   Over 1000 Health and Physical Educators from throughout Long Island will attend intensive professional development that features over 30 presentations.  This year’s conference will include such notable speakers as Doug Hallberg, 2017 SHAPE America PE Teacher of the Year, Scott Williams, 2015 VAHPERD K-12 Dance Teacher of the Year, John Jones, Author and former Teacher of the Year, and Sarah Campbell, Skills based Health Educator of the Year and Mindfulness curriculum developer. CTLE certificates are available for those who attend. Conference Registration begins at 7:00 am. For further information please contact: Lori Hewlett, Sachem Chairperson for Health Education and Suffolk Zone VP for Health Education. [email protected]

MATH

Our departmental goals this year include a focus on student engagement in the classroom and forming personal connections with our students.

On Wednesday, October 4th the math department participated in Sachem North’s 2nd Annual Breast Cancer Walk. It was a beautiful event and we were happy to show support for our very own fighter, Maria Messina.

MUSIC

The music department’s goal for October is to develop and improve recognition of pitch.

The Wind Ensemble is working toward this goal through a scaffolding warm-up routine involving vocalization.  This allows a model of pitch that is able to be applied easily to a variety of musical passages.

Congratulations to the Marching Band on a great performance last weekend at Huntington HS.  The received its highest score of the season and are currently in 2nd place in the NY State Field Band Large School 3 division.

PHYS ED

On November 7th, Sachem North will once again be the host for the New York State Association for Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance (NYSAHPERD) Suffolk Zone Conference.  The conference theme is “Get in the Zone with Quality Health and Physical Education.”   Over 1000 Health and Physical Educators from throughout Long Island will attend intensive professional development that features over 30 presentations.  This year’s conference will include such notable speakers as Doug Hallberg, 2017 SHAPE America PE Teacher of the Year, Scott Williams, 2015 VAHPERD K-12 Dance Teacher of the Year, John Jones, Author and former Teacher of the Year, and Sarah Campbell, Skills based Health Educator of the Year and Mindfulness curriculum developer. CTLE certificates are available for those who attend. Conference Registration begins at 7:00 am.

PPS TEAM

The PPS team had another successful week of fundraising for the October 22, Out of the Darkness Walk at Jones Beach.  We are up to $530.00 thus far and have had a great time in working with North students and meeting lots of new students while selling bagels.  In addition, 20 students attended our general information meeting this past Tuesday after school. We are excited to have approximately 24 students on our team so far.  We would truly love to have more faculty, staff and students join us. The walk is a beautiful way to remember people who have passed away due to depression and it is a great way to raise awareness for mental health.  Please use the following link to learn more about Outside of the Darkness or to make a donation.  Lastly, please feel free to see Christine Ruggero, Michele Michelson, Jane Boccafola, Leslie Zanone or Chris Kearney for more information or to make a donation. Have a wonderful weekend!

https://afsp.donordrive.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=cms.page&id=1196&eventID=4481

(Type Sachem into the search bar to find our team to make donations).

In lieu of the recent tragedy in Las Vegas, here is a resource to help in speaking with kids about violence.

https://www.nasponline.org/resources-and-publications/resources/school-safety-and-crisis/talking-to-children-about-violence-tips-for-parents-and-teachers

Mental Health Quote/Fun Fact of the week:

“A neurotic is a man who builds a castle in the sky. A psychotic is the man who lives in it. A psychiatrist is the man who charges both of them rent.”

SOCIAL STUDIES

The Social Studies department would like to thank Mr. Mauro from the VFW for visiting our AP GOPO and AP Eco classes to present the Voice of Democracy scholarship. Hopefully we will have a winner as we continue to strive and support student engagement in our democratic system.

Congrats to Chris and Stephanie Olsen on the birth of twins, Matthew John and Charles Jake. Along with older brother Harrison, somehow Olsen has secured a golf foursome for life!