• October 9Thanksgiving Food Drive Begins Monday, October 23rd

• October 4Festival of Trees and Lights - Saturday 12/9 & Sunday 12/10

Department News 10/13/17

ART

Our goal; relating artistic ideas and works to societal, cultural and historical context.  We are in the process of partnering with Viability, Inc. a local service provider for individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities.  They are re-locating in Ronkonkoma, and have asked our students to help design their new building space, a valuable career training experience!

ENGLISH

September—Remember the Writing Process!

October—Understanding the Counterclaim!

The English Department would like to welcome Kate Mallinson and Shelby Contomanolis into the fold!  Kate and Shelby are in for Tasha Rovere and Kiersten Corral respectively as they are on their maternity leaves. Their mentors are Amy Leblond and Heather Lush.

FACS

Goal: To analyze curriculum and determine if our projects/labs are best for student outcomes.

Students in Baking and Pastry Arts have been preparing different types of cookies.  There are various methods and techniques that can be used to prepare these treats.  Last week, the students made a variety of drop cookies and this week they prepared icebox cookies.  The baking groups spent time planning and preparing the different doughs and then practiced different techniques needed to complete their final product.  By communicating and collaborating students practiced 21st century skills and techniques needed to demonstrate their understanding.  This included articulation, listening, and sharing responsibility in their teams.     The students did a great job and, of course, enjoyed tasting the results!

Thank you to Mrs. Shelhorse for working towards Sachem’s District Goals of

• Goal #2 – Enhance Student Achievement, Quality of Instruction and Leadership Skills by implementing dynamic curriculum which incorporates critical thinking, collaboration, creativity, technology and civic responsibility.

Lastly, CONGRATULATIONS to Ms. Harper for getting approved by St. Joseph’s College to teach our new Hospitality course being offered for the 18-19 school year.  Kristy will be working on creating a dynamic curriculum for our Sachem students for both North and East high schools.

HEALTH

On Friday, October 13th, the Teens as Teachers course and club from both Sachem East and North will be participating in a training day at Sachem East. Guest speakers from several prevention partners including the Suffolk County Dept. of Mental Health , Suffolk County Dept. of Health Education and HUGS Inc. will join the peer educators in their commitment to keep Sachem substance free. Sachem Health Educators Lori Hewlett, Patricia Broderick and Kristen Maccarone serve as district facilitators for this important prevention effort.

Background info:

Peer Educators in the Teens as Teachers Substance Abuse Prevention and Education Program teach middle-grade students how to resist pressures to use alcohol, cigarettes/vapes, marijuana, and other drugs. The program is a proactive approach that empowers the students with the skills to remain substance free.

The skills-based Health Education program designed to mitigate risk factors and build the basis for a safe, supportive, and respectful learning environment. The Too Good for Drugs (TGFD) curriculum is used to put social and emotional learning to work through fun and interactive lessons, building the self-confidence young people need to make healthy choices and achieve success. TGFD promote positive, pro-social attitudes and behavior, while fostering healthy relationships, resistance to substance abuse and conflict, and resistance to negative peer pressure and influence.

MUSIC

The Music Department’s goal for October is to improve student recognition and refining of pitch center, both individually and as a group/ensemble.

The Orchestra has been working toward this goal with a tuning exercise which builds upon the foundation of the Bass section on up through the Violins.  With a solid balance the orchestra is able to achieve a much more refined and narrow center of pitch which is the foundation for any fine performance.

Best of luck to the Sachem Marching Band as they perform in their annual Home Show at HS East.  This show features 10 competitive high school programs through the entire tri- state area.  Come out and support the band this Sunday at Sachem East HS as they pursue 1st place in Large School Division 3!  Show begins at 11 am.

WORLD LANGUAGES

Soul Brew Coffee Shop in St. James is hosting Deaf Night on October 28, 2017.  The  Deaf Community and American Sign Language students have the opportunity to intermingle.  A great occasion for all.