Department News 10/23/17

ENGLISH

On this day in literary history, Rudyard Kipling receives the Nobel prize for literature, the first English-language writer to do so…here is a classic poem to enjoy this fabulously crisp autumn day.

If— by Rudyard Kipling

If you can keep your head when all about you

Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,

If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,

But make allowance for their doubting too;

If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,

Or being lied about, don’t deal in lies,

Or being hated, don’t give way to hating,

And yet don’t look too good, nor talk too wise:

If you can dream—and not make dreams your master;

If you can think—and not make thoughts your aim;

If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster

And treat those two impostors just the same;

If you can bear to hear the truth you’ve spoken

Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,

Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,

And stoop and build ’em up with worn-out tools:

If you can make one heap of all your winnings

And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,

And lose, and start again at your beginnings

And never breathe a word about your loss;

If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew

To serve your turn long after they are gone,

And so hold on when there is nothing in you

Except the Will which says to them: ‘Hold on!’

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,

Or walk with Kings—nor lose the common touch,

If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you,

If all men count with you, but none too much;

If you can fill the unforgiving minute

With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run,

Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,

And—which is more—you’ll be a Man, my son!

Today was the registration deadline for the 2018 Senior Trip, and as of 7 AM, Joe Azzato & I have had a record 330 seniors sign up.  Thanks to Kelly Hansen and Elizabeth Pickersgill for helping to get the word out to the seniors.  The trip this year is April 20-22, 6 months away, and we are looking for a record number of chaperones for night duty or day duty!  Details to follow.

FACS

FACS News:

Goal: To analyze curriculum and determine if our projects/labs are best for student outcomes.

Cosmetology classes have been busy with our skin care unit. They were able to create very artistic and creative theatrical make-up on manikins for their Hallows Eve’s Project. They also watched a facialist in the industry after watching the demonstration students, then were able to do facials on each other most of them never had a facial before and they loved every minute of their pampering.

Students also went to a Zombie make-up class held at New York Institute of Beauty. They participated in a hands-on workshop creating wounds, scars and lacerations. Many of the students will be doing the make up in “The Run Dead” doing  Zombie make-up for runners that are participating. They are all looking forward for not only the experience but, building and creating their portfolio.

Thank you to Mrs. Bischoff and Mrs. Dexler for working towards Sachem’s District Goals of

• Goal #2 – Enhance Student Achievement, Quality of Instruction and Leadership Skills by implementing dynamic curriculum which incorporates critical thinking, collaboration, creativity, technology and civic responsibility.

FACS News:

GUIDANCE

First off, the Guidance Department would like to thank all our amazing teachers!  This time of year proves to be a bit chaotic for everyone and our counseling staff tries its hardest not to  pull kids from class unless completely necessary, we really appreciate your flexibility and understanding.

On Friday, Professor Elizabeth Chu from Suffolk Community College presented to our counselors on Suffolk’s tremendous  math programs.  For students pursuing a career in math or a degree in that field could benefit greatly from a start at Suffolk.  We thank Ms. Chu for her engaging and wonderful presentation.

College representatives keep on rolling through North.  Everywhere from University of Tampa to Salisbury University were here to answer questions about their schools and present specifics on academics. These info sessions have proven to be invaluable with the personal connections students have made to the folks actually reviewing their applications.

GUIDANCE FUN FACT OF THE WEEK:

We have chosen to share a link about 10 students who were accepted to Harvard College and had their admissions revoked. Very relevant information for our students:  http://www.thecrimson.com/article/2017/6/5/2021-offers-rescinded-memes/

LIBRARY

Studies show that teens still prefer reading print books
over electronic books
!

Whichever you prefer, we’ve ordered many new print and e-books for North Library!
Stop by to check out the new titles, learn how to access the eBooks or
collaborate on a project using books as sources vs. computers!

• Many teens (30%) say they enjoy reading “a lot,” although they enjoy other media activities more (watching TV, listening to music, playing video and mobile games, and—for teens—using social media).
  • When young people are pushed to name their “favorite” media activity, 10 % of teens name reading. Reading enjoyment ranking is tied for third with using social media among teens, after listening to music and playing video games.
  • Despite the plethora of other activities available to them, teens still read for fun. One in five (19%) teens report reading for fun “every day.”
  • Teens who report that they read on any given day read for an average of 1:37. Among all young people, this averages out to about a half hour a day of reading for fun (:28 among teens).

Source: Fact Sheet: READING IN THE DIGITAL AGE

The Common Sense Census: Media Use by Tweens and Teens http://bit.ly/1MFmhOR

MATH

Mike Mastrogiacomo celebrated Gathering 4 Gardner with his classes this week.  The students explored mathematical illusions and puzzles as a celebration of the mind.

Gathering 4 Gardner (G4G) is an educational foundation and non-profit corporation (Gathering 4 Gardner, Inc.) devoted to preserving the legacy and spirit of prolific writer Martin Gardner. G4G organizes conferences where people who have been inspired by or have a strong personal connection to Martin Gardner can meet and celebrate his influence.[3] These events explore ideas and developments in recreational mathematics, magic, illusion, puzzles, philosophy, and rationality, and foster creative work in all of these areas by enthusiasts of all ages. G4G also facilitates a related series of events called Celebration of Mind (CoM).

On Thursday, October 19th the math departments from North and East participated collaboratively in a professional development session focused on practicing growth mindset in the math classroom.  The presentation was conducted by Diana Kolhoff, a mathematics instructional coach, whom guided the teachers to examine shifts we can take in the classroom to model and foster growth mindset for our students.

MUSIC

Music Department Goal for October : To improve and refine pitch recognition for all of our students.

Symphonic Choir is working toward our goal through a comprehensive routine of vocal exercises and warm-ups covering a large portion of the vocal register.  Proper breath control will help support warmer ensemble balance which in turn allows for a better foundation for listening.

Best of luck to all of our 9th and 10th graders who were nominated for SCMEA All-County this week!

PPS TEAM

The PPS team is happy to announce that Sachem North raised $730.00 for the Out of the Darkness Walk this Sunday at Jones Beach.  We are excited that we will be walking with 25 students and several staff members as well. It was a wonderful experience working with our students to fund raise for such a wonderful cause. On another note, Mrs. Michelson has been working with us to provide insight into the paradigm of Mindfulness.  We will be working with her to incorporate mindful practices into our counseling sessions. In addition, Mrs. Michelson has begun working with Mrs. Hart to provide techniques to Mrs. Hart’s students that will facilitate stress reduction.

Helpful Info of the Week: Attached is an article which speaks to brain changes and executive functioning amongst adolescents.  If we think about distractibility, anxiety and off-task behavior, this article may shed some additional light.

Psychological Quote of the Week: “The aim of psychoanalysis is to relieve people of their neurotic unhappiness so that they can be normally unhappy.”

TECHNOLOGY 

Mr. Wentzel’s Rocket and Aircraft class Started launching rockets.

Finished Cg /Cp calculations, drag coefficients for chutes and acceleration requirements for liftoff.  Only one rocket lost to trees so far.

Former Trade Electricity & Electronics student returns to speak to Mr. Chirichella’s Trade Electricity & Electronics Class from the military where he is an Electrical Engineer.

WORLD LANGUAGES

Soul Brew Coffee Shop in St. James is hosting Deaf Night on October 28, 2017.  The  Deaf Community and American Sign Language students have the opportunity to intermingle.  A great occasion for all.